Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Roy Loney

VINYL RIP (7")

Ex-Flamin' Groovies front man Roy Loney put out this fun and catchy EP back in the punk hay day of 1978. It's a more acoustic take on the Phantom Movers stuff he'd do a year later, but fans of those records will recognize a couple of songs on this 7".
I've seen Roy perform (in his sunglasses, suit and scarf under blazing stage lights) and he's still wildly entertaining. I'm also a fan of Cyril Jordan, but even though Jordan co-wrote some amazing tunes with Loney, it was Roy Loney who I think really put the '50s Rock n Roll vibe into the Groovies (if the more Beatlesish route they took after he left was any inclination).
I interviewed Roy for my old one-shot zine "I Am Right", and I'll scan that and add a link in a day or two for those interested enough to hear what the guy has to say.
Not sure if Roy is still at Jak's Record Celler in the city, but stop by there and say hi if he is.

Rockin' In The Graveyard


No comments:

Post a Comment