Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fu Manchu (Live Desert Party!)

CASSETTE RIP

***Update: Good news everybody! Fu Manchu has some anniversary releases planned, including some unreleased things...and possibly a few tracks from this party I recorded! so say goodbye to the link, and sorry if you missed the boat!


I recorded this back in 1992 I think. It took place in my friend Brian Maloney's backyard in Bermuda Dunes, CA. There's been a lot of talk of "desert parties" so let me say that they were going on before I started going to shows and long before Kyuss/Sons of Kyuss/Katzenjammer.
Unlike most generator parties in the middle of nowhere under the "stars and sprawling dunes", this one was in a back yard -or side yard maybe. It's hazy. Fu Manchu came down to play the desert a bunch back then and I was really into them. I think this was the first time I saw them with Eddie Glass. It's pretty great when Scott announces "this is a new one" and then breaks into Ojo Rojo.
I split this recording into 2 tracks. The first track is some local yammering, being three friends of mine (all named John strangely enough) with various drunken behavior in the background - I still remember that story of John beating up the tweaker who was stealing sprinkler heads in his front yard . The second track is the show - complete with some tuning issues and whatever else. It was a party! Everyone was drunk, stoned and/or on crank.

Pinbuster
Pinball Summer

El Don
Don't Bother Knockin' (If This Van's Rockin')

Bouillabaisse
Shine it On
Kept Between Trees

Sweetleaf

Pick Up Summer

Ojo Rojo
Summer Girls (Free and Easy)

Space Sucker

Senioritis Vankhana (Rollin' Rooms)



1 comment:

  1. mike. scott from fu here. get ahold of me at...
    kingfu666@aol.com
    as soon as you can.

    thanks,
    scott

    ReplyDelete