Friday, September 4, 2009
Blog Bodies #2
It should be obvious I enjoy making and listening to comps. Prolly because of my short attention span. Anyways, here's my second "tribute" to Blog Bodies.
1. Tiger Trap - You and Me. Tiger Trap gets me feeling warm and fuzzy every time. It's like it's 1992 all over again.
2. Camera Obscura - Suspended From Class. Brilliant lyrics and catchy as hell. A complicated romance...
3. Sebadoh - Brand New Love. Maybe the saddest romance song ever written. And most hopeful.
4. Jawbreaker - Chesterfield King. The "Trace the little lines along her palm" always got to me...
5. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option. This has been on countless mix tapes since its debut. Funny and catchy.
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
1. The Dickies - Gigantor. The Flipside records comp version. A favorite of mine in 9th grade.
2. Cibo Matto - Sci-Fi wasabi. I love this band, but didn't get into them 'till about 5 years ago. Wish I could have seen the fun live...
3. Guided By Voices - Gold Star For Robot Boy. I got a copy of GBV's "Vampire on Titus" CD when it came out and I hated it. I missed out on who are now one of my favorite bands of all time. Idiot, idiot, idiot!
4. Dwarves - Astro Boy. The Dwarves are neither young nor good-looking, but Blood, Guts and Pussy was exactly what punk rock needed when it came out.
1. Chad & Jeremy - Yesterday's Gone. I prefer their psyche records "The Arc" and "Cabbages and Kings", but the old tunes were also great. As were their performances on the Patty Duke Show and Dick Van Dyke.
2. The Dickies - I'm on Crack. so I'm on a Dickies phase lately. Sue me. I can't think of anything more short lived than a crack high or anything that can turn someone into a transient faster. Back in my day we called it freebase.
3. The Plasmatics - Fast Food Service. Richie Stotts is the most underrated guitar player in rock music.
4. Warren Zevon - My Shit's Fucked Up. He sang about death a lot, and died way too early.
DINOSAURS (almost made the cut: Neil Young's "Thrasher")
1. Beat Happening - Teenage Caveman. The first time I had sex with my first real girlfriend we did it to a VHS copy of a Beat Happening show. On her pile of Sassy magazines. OK, kidding about the last part...mostly.
2. Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard. Not my favorite song off the BLIMBY lp, but it's dinosaury!
3. Jim Bachus - Cave Man. Just enjoy.
4. The Dictators - Savage Beat. This song is really a pro-meat song (but I like it anyway) and not about dinosaurs...but I always get the image of Fred Flinstone with the giant ribs tilting his car over when I hear this.
Bitin' Other Blogs Is The Best
(in iTunes sort by "track number")