Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blog Bodies



One of my new favorite Mp3 blogs is "Blog Bodies", a blog where the blog contributors are given a theme, and they have to pick a song that they think of when they think of that theme. So far they have done birth; summer; food and pets.
Aside from the occasional unbearable track, the frustrating thing is that I always think of songs that I think should be on the list somewhere...how can you not think of Jonathan Richman's "Summer Feeling" in the summer?? Anyway, I decided I couldn't take it anymore, so here are my picks for their themes up 'till now. I did around three for each to make the download worth it.

Summer
0. Are You Ready For the Summer? - Meatballs soundtrack
Just because it's the most summertime movie ever. This song practically says so.
1. Summer Feeling - Kicking Giant.
I saw these guys in Olympia with Unwound, Dukes of Burl and Some Velvet Sidewalk back in 1990. They were great, and so is the album "Boyfriend Girlfriend" where this cover tune came from.
2. Wild in the Streets - Circle Jerks.
"In the heat of the summer better call up a plumber". You can't write a more summery line than that. All these years later and I still haven't heard the original song. I'll look for it later.
3. Girl - Beck.
I stopped listening to Beck a long, long time ago but every once in a while I'll hear a song I really like in a store somewhere and it's a Beck song. I was obsessed with this tune for a few weeks during a hot L.A. summer. "My summer girl...hey."

The theme to "Bad News Bears in Breaking Training" is my #1 choice, but I can't find an mp3. If you're as old as me, this will bring a smile to your face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9I1NkqAqlA

Birth

1. Mary - Lou Barlow
A song about the "most important birth in history", and Lou sings about what probably happened if there actually was a Jesus: "Immaculate conception -yeah right!" A great, catchy tune.
2. I'll Live Yesterdays - Lee Hazlewood
I *think* this song is about Lee's ex having an abortion. I'm not sure, but when I think of babies, I think of aborting them...and this song.
The other songs that come to mind are too cheezy or too popular to include here (unless you want Elvis or the Sex Pistols)

Food
1. Animals...eat 'Em - ANTiSEEN
Maybe it's strange that having been a vegan for 10 years and a vegetarian for 10 years before that, that I'd like this song and love this band. But I do. And you should as well.
2. Lee Scratch Perry - Favorite Dish
For some reason this song just makes me wanna eat. I feel like a papaya or some plantains when I hear it. Lee Scratch Perry has put out some crap, but he's still a genius.
3. Dear John - Eugene Kelly
Does Starbucks count as food? Here's a great anti-Starbucks (and McDonalds in the last line) song. The only all acoustic number on Eugene Kelly's (the Vaselines and Eugenius) solo record.
4. Have a Cup of Tea - The Kinks
To go with the anti-coffee song, here's a great pro-tea song from the Kinks.

Pets
1. The Ballad of Daykitty - Lou Barlow
TWO fucking Lou Barlow songs on this short comp?! That's like the taboo of all comps. Fuck it though, both tunes are great and this is the GREATEST pet song EVER. Fuck off.
2.Old King - Neil Young
This reminds me of working at a record store when I was in my early 20s more than a pet, but it's a great tribute to a great dog.
3. Old Blue - The Byrds
Not one of the best Byrds songs in the world, but it is from their most underrated album "Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde".


Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment