Sunday, July 5, 2009

Bryan Maclean •March 27, 2009




When I was about 15 I picked up Da Capo by LOVE at my friendly neighborhood thrift store. Stephanie Knows Who was already well worn when I played that dusty, scratched up LP, but I must have nearly needled through to the other side, playing that song over and over again. 7 and 7 Is, of course being the other scorcher. I didn’t really appreciate the mellower tracks 'till some years later.

One of those was Orange Skies written by guitar player Bryan Maclean (also creator of Alone Again Or…, one of Love’s most loved tracks). Here is a comp of demos and home recordings made during Love’s heyday -before Bryan left the music business for Christianity. The songs have that quirky structure and haunting singing style Love is known for. Sure Arthur Lee was a “genius” and all, but this comp shows that Bryan Maclean’s contribution to Love might have been overshadowed by Lee’s strong persona.

If you like what you hear, make sure to pick up the CD which has extensive liner notes.
Again Or



No comments:

Post a Comment